Tuesday, November 18, 2014

2012 Tri-community Triathlon Race Report

Here is my report of the 2012 Tri-community Triathlon in the Gila Valley.  This was from an email I sent out to my family.

I just listened to a podcast, or "program" for us older folks, on the mormonchannel about storytelling.


It reminded me that I need to tell the story of the Triathlon that I did on August 25. Here is the link to the men overall results


Here is the link the men age group results


In this race as in last years, one of the competitors was Lacey Nymeyer John.


She is L.D.S., swam for the University of Arizona, won NCAA individual and team championships, was NCAA 2009 woman of the year, and was Olympic silver medalist in a relay in 2008 Beijing Olympic Summer Games. She married a man from the Gila Valley, who was also in the race. I remember her from last year and was interested to see if she would be in the race this year. I saw them in the line to start the swim. So that was kind of in the back of my head the whole time. It is not every day you get to measure yourself in competition against an Olympian, much less an Olympic medalist.

Swim

625 yards. 12 minutes 31 seconds 28 place among men. I knew I would be slower on the swim than the previous year because I simply did not swim as much as I should have. I spent about 45 minutes just waiting in line because they only have 12 lanes. If each person does the swim in 10-15 minutes, well, you do the math. I did stop once to clear the fog off my goggles but it was really to take a couple of extra breaths, about ten seconds worth. They took six normal width lanes and devided them in half to make twelve to I kept hitting my right arm on the line lane, going both directions. That tells me that I have a tendancy to drift right when I swim. Maybe it is because I breath on my right side. The pool is only 25 yards and so you do a lot of turning. I don't do the flip turn so I am sure I wasted time at each turn compared to someone doing flip turns. Coming out of the swim my arms were pretty tired and I was breathing pretty hard. I hoped that I could get my breathing back to normal on the bike.

Bike

15 miles. 57 minutes 23 seconds 28 place among men. First I have to thank my Willcox Dad and Stake President for letting me use his bike. He was going to do this triathlon as well but in relay format. His bike and run teammates didn't come through though. My primary goal on the bike was to finish without a flat tire which happened last year. I was able to do that so it was a moral victory. Barring a flat tire, my goal was to stay in the "aero" position as much as possible and finish the bike with some energy for the run still remaining. The "aero" position is basically putting your hands and arms forward on two bars that stick out forward from the handle bars thus getting your upper body in a more inclined flat angle to be more aerodynamic. I feel like I did fairly good at that. I was able to save some energy for the run. Only one person passed my on the bike. By the speed that he passed me I knew that I would not be able to keep up with him. He passed me about mile marker five or so, right in the same area that I had the flat last year. As that person passed me I saw another guy up in front about 400 yards that I set my goal to pass him. It took my what seemed like forever to pass him. In reality is it was about five to seven miles, but I finally did it. I had two bottles on the bike, one with gatorade and one with water. I was going to use the water to spray on me to keep me cool and the gatorade to re-fuel. I did good about re-fueling but I really didn't use the water until the last five miles. At that point I realized I was carrying this extra weight for nothing so I started spraying it on my helmet, back and chest profusely. Anybody at the bike run transistion must have thought I was working really hard!

Run

5K or 3.1 miles. 22 minutes 18 seconds. 5th among men. Going into the run, my attitude was that this was my specialty, nobody passes me, and I need to really push the pace. The first half mile is always really hard because your leg muscles just feel really, really weird. Long steps are quite difficult so you end up taking little mini-steps quickly. On this course the first half mile is slightly uphill and so any enthusiasm you have about really taking it out fast is totally destroyed and reality sets in that you have been exercising at a high rate for over and hour and your body just wants to stop. In fact during the whole run your body is telling you to to stop and you have to use all the self discipline that you have to not stop. If you an amateur athlete like me you will come to a compromise with your body and you will slow your pace at least and pick it up later. That is kind of the narrative going on in my mind the first two miles. Keep an ok pace, and we will pick it up later. Then the last mile or so as I pick up the pace the mental talk changes to "how long can I keep up this pace and how much do I have left." Coming out of the transition area in the first hunderd yards of the run, I saw Lacey Nymerer John coming in on the bike. I have to admit, one of the big motivations I used to keep my pace up on the run was not to get passed by Lacey. I know it may sound silly but anything I could use for motivation was needed. I knew that she ran the 5k last year in 23 minutes so I had my work cut out for me. At mile marker 2 or so you go up a steep hill the the Safford cemetery. I looked behind me at the bottom of the hill and didn't see her so I was supper happy about that. As I went up the hill and as I passed people going around the cemetery I made the requisite jokes about being in there with them if I had to do any more of this. At the top of the hill you can see the course behind you because of a turnaround and sure enough there she was behind me. So I had to really start kicking it into gear. I felt much better on the run this year than last year when I was totally and completely anihalated (sp?). This year it was super hard and challenging but I had the ganas this time.

Post Race

My support team/fan club were there to greet me at the finish line which meant a lot to me. An award should be given to Team Leader of the support crew for getting everyone ready and motivated and in place. It was hot because it was August in Arizona. I was able to talk with Lacey and her husband Chandler and that was fun for me. They are both really friendly, nice, and humble. We went to eat at our favorite Chinese restaurant in the Gila Valley, Magic Wok or something like that on Highway 70. There I met and talked briefly with Lacey's grandparents. They said the volunteer counting laps for Lacey miscounted and made her go down and back an extra time. We laughed at that because Lacey could probably count laps in her sleep and the poor volunteer was probably people watching and not paying attention to what was going on. After that we wanted to go swimming at the Safford pool because they have two fun slides. It was not open, nor was the Thatcher or Pima pool. We ended up going to the Willcox pool.

No comments:

Post a Comment