Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Marathon Manifesto

Here is a letter I wrote in April or May of 2013.


MARATHON MANIFESTO

Hi everyone this is Chris.  They say that announcing your goals publicly helps you accomplish your goals.  I think because of the inherent peer pressure, basically.  Normally I don’t do this because I think that I can accomplish my goals without peer pressure and because when I announce my goals publicly and fail, then that is embarrassing.  I once before announced a similar goal to the family and failed.  However, I have thought long and hard about this and I want to announce a goal that I have.  I want to run in the 2014 Boston Marathon.  I am going to need all of the self-discipline and fear of public humiliation that I can get in order to motivate me to get out the door six times a week and to run hard on three of those days (the other three days are easy days and getting out the door is the only issue).

Running a Marathon has always been on my “to do” list, or bucket list, for you young hipsters.  Growing up for a number of years in the Holliday area of Salt Lake, every Pioneer day I heard about the Deseret News Marathon.  It was the only marathon on the Wasatch front that I was aware of.  One year my classmate, named Art, at Oakwood Elementary school actually ran the Deseret News Marathon.  It seemed like every year this guy named Demetrio Cabanillas won.  It turns out that later he was one of my nephew’s teachers in Jr. High or something in West Jordan.  My brother, ran the Deseret News Marathon in the late 1990’s.  That made the marathon that more achievable, because you know, if he did it, I can do it, right? 

Fast forward to 2004.  My sister-in-law ran the St. George marathon.  I ran with her on the course for about four or five miles.  She finished the marathon which is commendable in and of itself.  She also finished four minutes off a Boston Marathon qualifying time (BQ).  I was impressed that in her first marathon she wasn’t running just to finish, but for the BQ.  That brought me one step closer to running a marathon, because you know, if she can do it so can I.  So in 2005 my sister-in-law, brother-in-law, and I all signed up to run the St. George marathon together.  We did not get accepted in the lottery.  We put our names in the hat again in 2006 and we got accepted.  We started off the training cycle for the October 2006 St. George marathon by running a 5k together in Safford, Arizona in May of 2006.  Both of them declared at the outset of training that they were going to try and BQ at St. George.  My goal was just to finish a marathon to cross it off my list and be done with it.  A secondary and less important goal was to finish at a ten minute pace which would be around four hours and twenty two minutes.  I really didn’t think that I would run another Marathon after that.  After finishing the 2006 St. George Marathon each of us achieved what we were shooting for.  I had finished and I exceeded my pace by running four hours and ten minutes which is around a nine minute and thirty three second pace per mile.  I was very impressed with my wife’s siblings because they each were able to BQ.  In fact, they had shone a light on a pathway that heretofore had been dark to me.  I had never known anyone personally to have qualified for the Boston Marathon.  I did not know that mere mortals could have the audacity to aspire to amateur athletic greatness.  So here I was standing around at the finish line just having accomplished a life-time goal and thinking “man, this is only the beginning, there is another higher mountain to climb.”  This then opened up a whole new world for me as a runner. 

On April 21, 2008 those same two family members ran the Boston Marathon together.  In so doing they walked down that now lighted path.  I looked down that path from afar and deemed it desirable despite the pain and time involved.  The weekend before the Boston I sent them this poem entitled “The Few” by Edgar A. Guest that has since become my running mantra:

"The easy roads are crowded
And the level roads are jammed;
The pleasant little rivers
With the drifting folks are crammed.

But off yonder where it's rocky,
Where you get a better view,
You will find the ranks are thinning
And the travelers are few.

Where the going's smooth and pleasant
You will always find the throng,
For the many, more's the pity,
Seem to like to drift along.

But the steeps that call for courage,
And the task that's hard to do
In the end result in glory
For the never-wavering few."

 

That day, April 21, 2008, I committed to myself that I would run in the Boston Marathon.  I drew up plans and came up with a training program.  A couple of years and several starts and stops later I was in the process of accomplishing my goal by training for the St. George Marathon in the summer of 2010.  I had signed up with two very close friends from High School.  We would text each other on a weekly basis to see how our training was going.  My goal was to be at a seven minute mile pace.  About halfway through the 16 week training schedule I had to come to grips with the fact that a seven minute pace was out of reach.  I had signed up and paid the money and dropping out was not an option.  So, I re-adjusted my goal to run between eight and a half minute to a nine minute pace.  I was able to finish in three hours forty minutes and thirty six seconds which is eight minute and twenty six second pace.  I was happy with a thirty minute improvement but not satisfied.  My goal was still to run a BQ, which was and is 3:10 for me.  I felt like given a year’s time I would be able to BQ at St. George 2011.  To this end I was happy about my time at the Pima Turkey trot on Thanksgiving Day 2010.  My sister and brother-in-law were with our family and ran it as well.  However, in 2011 a much more important and memorable event occurred in my life that I wanted to focus on.  My wife was doing her own marathon of sorts with much bigger significance.  It was my turn to support her through her nine month marathon.  She gave birth to a boy, the Friday before General Conference and the St. George Marathon.  What she has done three times over is much more difficult physically, mentally, emotionally, in every way than any race I have done or will ever do so I give credit to her for what she has sacrificed for our family. 

Now, pause the story for a minute for some Boston Marathon history.  In the fall of 2010 something unique happened to those trying to register for the 2011 Boston.  For many, many years the Boston would not reach its limit of registered entrants until February or March for the April race.  However, sometime in the late 2000’s it started to fill up faster each year.  For a couple of years it would fill up in half the time that it did the previous year.  Finally in the late summer of 2010 thanks to social media, there was a self-fulfilling prophecy.  Runners blogs and facebook pages started to quote someone else, advising others to register early because the Boston was going to fill up fast.  No sooner had registration day opened than the feeding frenzy of registration began.  People woke up at four in the morning.  Others took the day off from work.  It was wild.  The server went down, people’s registration process would lock up on them in the middle of the process and they didn’t know if they should wait it out and continue or start anew.  Sure enough on the first day of registration, it reached maximum capacity in a record eight hours.  After several months of hunkering down and closed door meetings the Boston Athletic Association, who runs the show, came out with a modified registration process for 2012 and a permanent change for 2013 and beyond.  They lowered everyone’s qualifying time by five minutes and gave preference to faster runners.  If you run twenty minutes faster than your qualifying time you can register on day one and two.  Ten minutes faster and you get a crack at it on day three and four, and five minutes faster and you squeak in on day five and six.  Starting the second week if there are still slots available anyone who has run a minimum BQ can register.  This meritocracy seems to have restored order to the marathon world, at least for the time being.  Media outlets reported that the registration for 2012 went smoothly and in 2013 the registration was still open into the third week.  While this historical context may seem trivial to some, it plays an important role in my story, hence the background. 

Back to the story.  In 2012, I wanted to run the Utah Valley Marathon in June.  When it came time to sign up though, I did not feel like I was in good enough physical condition to BQ.  In April when it was time to register in the lottery for the St. George, I again felt like even with four or five months of training I would not be able to BQ.  I signed up for a sprint triathlon the last Saturday in August 2012 which kept me in shape.  Then in October I did another 5K that kept me training.  Then through the winter I was training consistently because I had signed up to run the Ragnar Relay with the some great friends in Phoenix the end of February of 2013.  That was a blast.  Someday I would like to do that again with my family or my wife’s family.
 
 

 

                On April 15, 2013 I got on runnersworld.com and followed the live updates of how the Boston Marathon was going for the elite runners.  Yet, another Boston Marathon that I was not privileged to run, how sad.  Another year that Americans came oh so close to winning.  Later in the day my brother called me and told me that there had been some bombings at the Boston Marathon.  I knew that the marathon world would be changed forever, and the Boston would never be the same either.  There was a certain innocence lost to future marathon events and in particular Boston.  Also, after a minute or two of digesting what was going on, I had this sudden urge well up inside of me to run in the 2014 Boston Marathon.  It wasn’t a “it would be cool to do that” feeling.  It was much stronger.  I spent much of April 15 grieving for the loss of life and injuries.  It is almost like I took it personally.  Every time I would read a news report about Boston the feeling kept coming back, “I have to run Boston next year.”  I knew that there were a lot of people out there having similar feelings.  Jeff Benedict, an occasional columnist for the Deseret News felt the same way, albeit not the running part.  I read a post of his in the Deseret News that I really related to.   

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865578618/Terrorists-messed-with-wrong-people-in-Boston.html

I felt like getting into Boston just got that much harder.  My suspicions were confirmed when runnersworld.com reported an off the charts spike in google searches for “qualify for boston marathon” soon after the bombing tragedy.

That brings me to the present day.  The first day for registration for Boston 2014 is on a yet to be determined day in September.  For me that rules out any Marathon after Sept. 1 including St. George.  Consequently, I narrowed my options for a Boston qualifying marathon to a handful.  I have selected the 14th annual Portneuf Medical Center Pocatello (Idaho) Marathon August 31.   


The altitude is a little high, I would prefer sea level.  The initial downhill is pretty steep and has the potential to tear up the quads.  On the plus side there are no major sustained up-hills and it shouldn’t get too hot.  Hopefully the Idaho wind will take a break on that day.  Finally, and most importantly I gives me the ability to do a full 18 week training cycle to build up to that seven minute mile pace.  Technically a 7:15 mile pace will get me a 3:10 marathon, but I need some room for error so I am shooting for the ever elusive seven minute mile pace.  This is my goal and I am committed.  If I fail it will not be for lack of trying.  Anyone want to do it with me?  There is still time to do a 16 or 18 week training program.  This is my third time using a program from halhigdon.com . 

Sincerely,

Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment