Wednesday, March 4, 2015

The Shoe Saga

I bought my first Asics Gel Nimbus 12 sometime in late 2009 or early 2010.  I went to Performance Footwear and they had me run on a treadmill and video taped my feet hitting the treadmill.  Then they played it back and showed me how my foot landed and recommended a neutral shoe.  I wanted Asics and I wanted cushion as well so this is what I ended up getting. 
 
Asics Gel Nimbus 12

 
 
 
In Septempber of 2010 I liked the shoe so much that I went back to Performance Footwear and bought the exact same type of shoe.  They gave me half off on the shoe because it was the last one of the 12's because the Asics Gel Nimbus 13's were in stock and being sold.  I ran the 2010 St. George Marathon in these shoes. 
 
Asics Gel Nimbus 12

 
 
 
 
 I had not had any problems with the shoes that I bought so I bought two of the same kind at the same time.  I used these black and blue shoes to train in exclusively for over a year and I think that is what caused my shin splints.  In the future I plan to alternate shoes regularly.
 
Asics Gel Nimbus 14

 

My son called these my shinny shoes.  I wore them for about 30-40 miles to break them in and then I saved them for race day because of their bright neon colors.  I ran the 2013 Pocatello Idaho Marathon and the 2014 Phoenix Marathon in these shoes. 
 
Asics Gel Nimbus 14

 

I wenrt to performance footwear to get some Asics Gel Nimbus 16.  When I tried them on they suggested that I get a EE version, a.k.a. wide.  However the attendant ordered them in a 9.5 instead of a 10 size which I normally wear for running shoes.  That was December of 2014.  They arrived at the store and I went to pick them up around January 21 or so.  When I tried them on they guy that was helping me said they felt like they were not long enough.  So we had to order another pair of Asics Gel Nimbus 16 EE size ten.  Well three weeks later I called the store and they said that they didn't have them.  So they called asics and they said that shoe won't be ready to ship until March.  So they recommend that I get some Asics cumulus or some Brooks Glycerin 16.  So I asked for the Brooks Glycerin and they had to special order those.  By this time I was getting tired of special ordering.  I asked the store to ship them to me when they arrived in the store since I didn't have the time or the desire to drive all the way up to their store to get the shoes to which they agreed.  Since they made the mistake of not telling me for three weeks that my shoes were not being sent I figured they owed me a favor.  Well one day a gal from the store left a message on my phone telling me that my Brooks nitro (or something that wasn't Glycerin) size seven was going to be shipped to my house.  I promptly called the store and let them know that I ordered a Brooks Glycerin 16 EE size ten and that I had no idea about those other shoes and that I didn't want them.  Finally the shoes came in the mail and I have been using them.  I don't like the look at all.  They are light enough.  They are supposed to be brooks top of the line cushion neutral shoe.  So we will see.  In another 100-200 miles I plan on getting another pair so I can alternate shoes every other day.  Maybe I will get a less expensive pair like the Asics Cumulus or something.  I miss the Asics Gel Nimbus 12.  It is frustrating that the companies change the shoes every year.  When you find one that you like you would like to stick with it but you can't since by the time you wear them out they have a new version that they may or may not have made changes on.  Any running injury is lame and shin splints are one of them.  I shouldn't complain to loud because right now I don't have knee pain, plantar fasciitis, or any other running related injury. 
 
 
Brooks Glycerin 16


No comments:

Post a Comment