Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Workout on 1/12/15 and 1/13/15

Workout for the day on 1/12/15
Goal:  My original goal was to run three miles at 7.45 to 8.00 pace.  But then I decided to do an interval workout and then I got talking with my wife and so I modified it even more and decided to run down my driveway and then jog back, untimed.  Our driveway is about 75 yards long or so.  This was due to time constraints.
Workout:  I ended up doing ten repeats of the above mentioned workouts.  On number 8 I did a 100%, on the toes, all out sprint the last quarter of the way.  On number 9 I increased to a little under half and then number ten I increased it to a little under three quarters.  When I wasn't sprinting all out it was about as fast as I could go without getting up on the old toes.  At the end my heart rate was 152, which for me is way, way high.  It only gets that way unless......you guessed it, I sprint all out for any meaningful distance.  I would estimate that I ran hard for no more than half a mile and then a very slow jog for another half a mile. 

This week: 1 mile
This year: 28 miles

Workout for the day 1/13/15
Goal: Recovery three mile jog between 9.00 and 9.30 pace
Workout: Jogged three miles at an average of 9.31 per mile.  Here are the half mile splits except for the last one is one mile.  1)4.49  2)4.32  3)4.38  4)4.46  5)9.47.  I decided to go extra slow because yesterday was pretty strenous on the legs and all.  In my opinion the recovery jogs are not about time or distance or anything other than getting the heart rate up a little bit, flexing the muscles to flush out any lactic acid and to build muscle memory for the muscles and to keep the brain disciplined about running every day, except Sunday of course.  In fact sometimes when I miss a recovery jog I feel cheated because that may give me two hard days in a row (with of course a day off in between).  The hard days are mentally challenging so the easy days are enjoyably non-challenging. 

This week: 4 miles
This year: 31 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment